Brownells recently announced the latest addition to the company’s ever-growing BRN line of AR-15 rifles, pistols and components. The Brownells BRN-9 comprises a seriously build-worthy complete upper receiver chambered in 9mm. It sports a 5-inch barrel for large-format, PCC-based pistol builds.
Brownells BRN-9 Upper
The self-contained, complete upper receiver, chambered in 9mm, features a blowback operating system. It handles both suppressed and unsuppressed fire without adjustment, according to Brownells. And it also fits on any standard AR-15 or BRN-180 lower receiver, an important caveat for DIY gun builders.
This complete upper, owing to the blowback operating system, also comes without a buffer assembly. So that means this bad boy can utilize all folding stock variations, or builders can maintain a straight pistol design. Of course, when building a 9mm SBR, all NFA rules still apply.
The BRN-9 mates with 9mm-only lowers and common 9mm magazine well adapters. It accommodates those from Glock, SIG Sauer and Colt, along with CZ Scorpion and HK MP5 magazines. Inside, the upper retains bolt catch functionality, providing that last-round, bolt hold open function so many shooters demand. A non-reciprocating charging handle switches to either side, a pretty cool feature in itself.
The 5.5-inch barrel comes with 1/2″x28 threads for attaching common muzzle devices and cans. An integral Picatinny rail provides surface area for mounting an optic. At first glance. there’s a lot to like about the BRN-9, retailing for $550. For more info, please visit brownells.com.
Brownells BRN-9 Features
- Machined from- billet 6061 T6 aluminum, black hardcoat anodized
- Nitrided 4140 steel bolt
- Lightweight Nitrided 4150 steel barrel with 1-10″ rifling & ½-28 tpi muzzle threads
- Continuous M1913 Picatinny top rail
- M-LOK slots on bottom & sides of handguard
- Compatible with 9mm Glock, Colt 32-rd SMG, CZ Scorpion, Heckler & Koch MP5, Mean Arms EndoMags & SIG Sauer P320 magazines
- Self-contained blowback operating system – NO buffer tube needed!
- Non-reciprocating steel charging handle
- Compatible with standard “mil-spec” AR-15 or BRN-180 lower receivers
- Works with last-round-bolt-hold-open lower receivers
- Preserves function of bolt catch
- Tapered multi material 4-piece trunnion system to maintain mechanical accuracy & longevity
- Rear recoil buffer is 3D-printed from flexible material optimized to absorb recoil impulse
- Over-buffer-tower design maximizes rail space
- BRN-style brass deflector
- Easy toolless takedown
Brownells BRN Rifles & Builds
- BRN 605 Carbine
- BRN-10 Retro .308 Rifles
- How to Build a Bare-Bones Vietnam AR Using Brownells Retro Parts
- Brownells BRN-180: New Uppers Available Chambered in 300 BLK
- BRN 180: Why Brownells’ SHTF Uppers Are Making Waves for AR Owners