In early 2017, FN announced its 509 pistol. Then, in July of this year, came the 509 Tactical variant. Now the line has expanded yet again, this time with a model designed exclusively for law enforcement: the FN 509 Simunition training pistol.
Developed in partnership with General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, the FN 509 Simunition is pitched in the presser as ideal for law enforcement agencies who want their officers to get a “more realistic training” experience. The gun pairs the FN 509 fire control, frame and magazine with the Simunition—a General Dynamics brand—slide, in order to give it the ability to fire the proprietary 9mm FX marking rounds.
“The FN 509 Simunition pistol gives agencies the ability to train their officers for force-on-force scenarios in real-time,” said Charles “Bucky” Mills, FN’s senior director for law enforcement sales. “This ability provides a great training benefit for our agencies invested in the FN 509 platform and is an added benefit for future agencies considering the FN 509 as their next duty pistol.”
Available for agency quote now, the FN 509 Simunition ships out with three 17-round magazines that feature blue base plates; three interchangeable backstraps; a takedown wrench for disassembly; and a blue soft case. See the full specs and features below.
For more on FN, visit fnamerica.com.
FN 509 Simunition Specs
- CALIBER: 9mm FX
- OPERATION: Double-action
- MAG CAPACITY: 17 Rd.
- WEIGHT: 26.9 oz.
- BARREL LENGTH: 4.1″
- OVERALL LENGTH: 7.5″
- TWIST RATE: 1:10″ RH
- LENGTH: 7.4″
- HEIGHT: 5.56″
- WIDTH: 1.35″
- TRIGGER PULL: 5.5 – 7.5 lb.
- SIGHT RADIUS: 5.79″
FN 509 Simunition Primary Features
- Simunition kit developed jointly with General Dynamics Ordinance and Tactical Systems
- Dedicated training pistol that does not require user to swap live FN 509 top-end with Simunition kit
- Uses same FN 509 slide profile, fire control, frame and magazines
- Compatible with 9mm Simunition FX, CQT, and Secureblank 9mm
FN 509 Simunition Slide
- FN 509 slide profile for easy transition between training and real-time scenarios
- Easily racked, combat-style day sights
- External extractor; loaded chamber indicator
FN 509 Simunition Barrel
- Two-piece Simunition barrel with disassembly wrench
FN 509 Simunition Frame
- Dedicated blue polymer FN 509 Simunition frame
- 3 Interchangeable backstraps
- MIL-STD-1913 accessory mounting rail
FN 509 Simunition Operating Controls
- Fully ambidextrous slide stop lever and magazine release
- 5.5 to 7.5 lbs. trigger pull
FN 509 Simunition Magazine
- High visibility, low-friction follower
- Blue polymer base for easy identification as training sample