Black Wood USA is a Washington-based company that makes wood accessories for the AR-15. These really make the AR pop. The latest addition to the company’s line is a PDW stock that features a solid walnut butt plate.
The foundation of the wood PDW stock is Strike Industries’ Viper PDW mechanism. This specific setup was chosen because it doesn’t need any proprietary systems in order to function properly. The company’s ultimate goal here was for the stock to work with a variety of different rifle setups.
“We wanted the stock to work with as many different rifle setups as possible,” co-founder and CEO William Mengon said. “Strike’s PDW had the widest range of compatibility of all the PDW mechanism options we explored.”
In addition to its solid walnut construction, this wood PDW stock features ambidextrous, push-button deployment. It also boasts cut grooves in the buttplate; compatibility with standard bolt carriers; compatibility with a bunch of ambi lower receivers; and an integrated ambi sling swivel mount. The stock weighs 22 ounces overall. The OAL is 2 1/4 inches. When installed, the LOP ranges from 8 1/2 inches to 11 3/4 inches.
“From the early days of our company, we knew we wanted to make a collapsible wooden stock,” said Mengon. “Traditionally, the only wood stocks available for AR’s are A2-style fixed stocks. Our vision was to make a stock that combined the legacy and texture of wood with modern functionality.”
Black Wood USA’s wood PDW stock is listed on the company’s site at $400. For more on Black Wood USA’s product line, which also includes wood rail panels, trigger guards and grips, go to blackwoodusa.com.
Black Wood USA Wood PDW Stock Features
- Solid Walnut Construction
- CQB Stock Adjustment
- Ambidextrous, push button deployment
- Natural Wood Feel
- Cut Grooves in Butt Plate for Solid Grip
- Compatible with standard bolt carriers
- No non-standard take down procedures
- Integrated Ambidextrous Sling swivel mount
- Compatible with many ambidextrous lower receivers such as the SanTan and Rainier Arms.
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Wood Type: Walnut
- Max LOP (Trigger to Butt plate): 11 3/4 in
- Min: 8 1/2 in
- OAL (16 in Barrel): 29.5 in Collapsed, 32.75 in extended
- Width: 2.3 in
- Length (Wood stock only): 2 1/4 in
- Weight: 22 oz.
- 4140 Nitride Rods
- 6061 T6 Tube and mount
- Includes Mounting Hardware