When it comes to obtaining a fast sight picture, red dot optics can be a game changer for most. For this reason, many of the firearms entering the market today are red dot ready. Likewise, companies like Vortex Optics are keeping the red dots, like the Defender-CCW, coming. Are you looking for our review and first look at the new 2024 Vortex Defender-ST?
The Vortex Defender-CCW Red Dot Sight
The compact and lightweight single-piece 7075 aluminum chassis of the Defender-CCW features a rugged construction. As a result, the shockproof design can withstand recoil and impact with no issues. Likewise, the ShockShield polymer insert absorbs shock to the body, protecting it from the abuse of daily carry.
Correspondingly, the Defender-CCW features a Fast-Rack textured front plate that adds grip for racking the slide off any surface. The low-glare matte black anodized finish provides corrosion and wear resistance for a long life. Additionally, the smooth, slim profile provides for a snag-free draw from under clothes and a lower chance of printing.
According to the company, the ultra-compact design features the biggest sight window in its class. As a result, you can quickly obtain a good sight picture with both eyes open. Likewise, the large aspherical lens offers a distortion-free sight picture and truer colors. Correspondingly, the optic provides unlimited eye relief and industry-defined “parallax-free” operation.
Operating on a single CR1632 battery, the Defender-CCW provides 9,500 hours of operation on brightness setting 6. Featuring an automatic 14-hour auto-shutoff helps preserve battery life. Likewise, motion-activated operation wakes the optic up at the last brightness setting. Both the auto-shutoff and motion activation can be disabled. A top-mount battery compartment means you can replace the battery without affecting zero.
The 3 MOA dot features 8 daylight brightness settings and 2 night-vision compatible settings. With an adjustment graduation of 1 MOA, the max windage adjustment is 105 MOA, while the max elevation adjustment is 110 MOA.
An O-ring seal helps prevent moisture, dust, and debris, while the fog-proof design can withstand a wide range of temperatures.
The Defender-CCW utilizes the Shield RMS footprint.
The Vortex Defender-CCW red dot sight is available now with an MSRP of $349.99. For more info, please visit VortexOptics.com.
Vortex Defender-CCW Red Dot Sight Specs
Reticle: 3 MOA Defender Dot
Adjustment Graduation: 1 MOA
Parallax Setting: Parallax Free
Max Windage Adjustment: 105 MOA
Max Elevation Adjustment: 110 MOA
Dot Color: Red
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Weight: 0.95 oz.
- Large Hard Coated Aspherical Lens: Large distortion-free sight picture.
- Motion Activation With 14 Hour Auto-Shutoff: Automatically activates with motion while 14 hour auto-shutoff saves battery life.
- ShockShield™: Polymer insert absorbs shock to the 7075 aluminum body protecting it from everyday abuse.
- Fast-Rack™ Texturing: Aggressive texturing on face of optic for racking slide off any surface.
- Battery: CR1632
- Top Mount Battery: Easy battery changes without having to re-zero your optic.
- Battery Life: 9,500 hours on brightness setting 6
- 8 Daylight Bright Brightness Settings: Daylight bright, illuminated center dot aids in faster center-point acquisition in bright daylight conditions.
- Parallax Free: All red dot and holographic sights will exhibit some small amount of parallax. Matching current industry practice, this small amount would be considered “parallax free” and will make a negligible difference in performance.
- Unlimited Eye Relief: Non-critical eye relief for rapid target acquisition.
- Night-Vision Compatibility: The lowest 2 settings are night-vision compatible.
- Waterproof: O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.
- Fogproof: Designed to withstand a wide range of temperatures.
- Shockproof: Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
- Low-Glare Matte Black Anodized: Corrosion and wear resistant anodization provides low-glare matte surface and helps camouflage the shooter’s position.
- Single-Piece Chassis: Compact and light weight.