The following is a press release from Merkel
German firearms manufacturer Merkel has announced the introduction of the R15, a new bolt-action rifle designed and manufactured specifically to meet the expectations of American hunters and shooters. Available in both wood- and synthetic-stocked versions, the Merkel R15 rifle combines the classic hunting rifle style with old-world craftsmanship and the latest manufacturing technology to create a platform that is refined yet surprisingly affordable for the American market.
Functional, practical and beautiful, the R15 features a newly designed receiver that is cold-forged and precision machined. With three lugs for maximum strength and safety, the R15’s full-bodied bolt has a 60-degree bolt throw and glides effortlessly in the receiver for fast follow-up shots. The receiver of the R15 is mated to a standard-contour cold-hammer-forged barrel, for which Merkel has become renowned.
The R15 features a direct trigger with a weight of just less than three pounds, as set by the factory. The rifle’s safety is located behind the bolt handle and acts directly upon the sear. It also features a separate chamber lock, which allows safe unloading while keeping the safety “on.”
The detachable magazine is seated in front of the trigger. The mounting pattern for optics conforms to Savage standards.
RELATED STORY: Have Gun, Will Travel – Choosing and Securing a Trunk Gun
Merkel offers the R15 in two versions: a Grade-1 walnut stocked version and a fiberglass-reinforced, black synthetic-stocked version. Both versions are available in standard and magnum calibers: .243 Win., 6.5×55, .270 Win., .308 Win., .30-’06 Sprg., 9.3×62, .300 Win. Mag. and 7 Rem. Mag. The walnut R15 weighs 7 pounds, 4.4 ounces, and the synthetic R15 weighs 6 pounds, 9.8 ounces.
The suggested retail price for the walnut R15 is $799, and the synthetic R15 is $699.
Merkel Rifle Specifications
* Model: R15
* Purpose: Hunting & target shooting
* Manufacturer: Merkel Jagd und Sportwaffen, GmbH
* Operation: Bolt-action repeating
* Caliber: 6.5×55, .243 Win., .270 Win., .308 Win., .30-’06 Sprg., 9.3×62, .300 Win. Mag., 7 mm Rem. Mag.
* Magazine type/capacity: Detachable steel/polymer box/standard: 3 rounds, magnum: 2 rounds
* Action material: Steel
* Barrel: 22 inch, Mag: 24 inch
* Rifling: 4 grooves, 1:12″ RH twist (.308 Win.)
* Sights: No sights, drilled and tapped for Savage-style mounts
* Finish: Blued
* Safety: 2-position-trigger-safety with separate chamber lock
* Trigger type: Direct trigger
* Pull weight: 2 lbs., 10.4 ozs.
* Stock material/type: Walnut or polymer/straight
* Length of pull: 14.5 inches
* Drop at comb: 1.5 inches
* Drop at heel: 1.5 inches
* Recoil pad: Elastomer; 0.7 inch thick
* Sling swivels: 1″
* Checkering: Machined checkering on grip and foreend (walnut)
* Weight, empty: 7 pounds, 4.4 ounces (6 pounds, 9.8 ounces: synthetic)
* Overall length: 43.3 inches
* Included accessories: Owner’s manual
* MSRP: $799 walnut; $699 synthetic
For more information, contact Merkel’s exclusive U.S. importer, Steyr Arms, 2530 Morgan Rd., Bessemer, AL 35022; call (205) 417-8644; or visit www.merkel-usa.com.