Gov. Dannel P. Malloy left the door open for the legislature to offer amnesty to firearms owners, whose mailed-in registration paperwork for newly banned rifles and ammunition magazines arrived after the deadline.
Gun regulations passed in 2013 in response to the Sandy Hook shootings, banned ammunition magazines that carry more than 10 rounds and increased the number of rifles prohibited in the state of Connecticut. The law gave people who had previously purchased them until the end of the year to register to keep them. Gun owners registered about 50,000 rifles and 38,000 magazines before the deadline.
But post offices closed early on December 31m 2014 and some of the paperwork that was dropped in the mail that day was postmarked after the deadline. Michael Lawlor, Malloy’s criminal justice policy adviser, said Monday that the state received 226 assault weapon applications and 506 high-capacity magazine declarations postmarked after the deadline.
“I understand that some people are saying that they went to the post office to mail in their registration. That’s why we’ve saved — in accordance with what I thought was the right thing to do — those forms. So if the legislature, in its wisdom, was to allow for that to happen, we’re in a position to know who actually sent in those forms,” Malloy said.
Read more at: http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/